If you had to put your home on the market tomorrow, how ready would it be for showing? According to Atlas Van Lines, Canadians move every 7 years on average, so whether you’re preparing to sell or happily staying put, it’s important to keep in mind what you’ll need to do when the time comes.
Take the quiz below and find out more!
- Leave everything on the table and return later to clean up. You’ve got better things to do!
- Take dishes off the table and put away leftovers. The dishes you piled in the sink can wait until your favourite TV programme is over.
- Clean the table, put leftovers in the fridge and wash the dishes. You want to be free to enjoy your evening.
- Covered with papers and random objects. You can never seem to find important documents when you need them.
- Somewhat organized with enough free space to do work. It may look slightly messy, but you know exactly where everything is.
- Extremely clean and organized. Librarians would admire the efficiency of your filing system.
- . An indoor pet who seems to shed non-stop and a smoker who often smokes indoors.
- One of the above.
- None of the above.
- With mementos, souvenirs and family photos. You like being surrounded by lots of memories.
- With eclectic artefacts and antique items. Your style is uniquely you.
- With few decorative or personal items. Less is definitely more.
- You haven’t had the time to decorate or organize. In fact, you’re using the guest room for storage.
- The main areas are decorated, furnished and organized, but you haven’t had the chance to do the same in the basement or guest room yet.
- Each room is properly furnished and decorated. You are currently planning your next renovation.
Your home may need a deep cleaning and de-cluttering to prepare it for sale. Pack unnecessary items away, making sure counters and tables are free of appliances and personal items. If pets or smokers reside in your home, have the carpets, draperies and upholstery professionally cleaned to rid the house of undesirable odours.
There are a few easy steps you can take to make your home more appealing. Clean your home from top to bottom, paying special attention to kitchens and bathrooms. Organize closets and storage areas. Brighten and lighten your home with a fresh coat of neutral coloured paint and fix any minor repairs that you’ve been neglecting.
Your home is in top shape and will only benefit from a little added flair to bring in that sale. Place fresh flowers on the mantle and set the dining room table for a formal dinner. If it’s a cool day, light a fire in the fireplace. Look at your home through the buyers’ eyes and create an atmosphere that will help them envision themselves living there.
Before any work begins, I would be happy to help you see your home through the objective eyes of a prospective buyer. Making the right impression is critical. It will help you sell your home more quickly and at a better price. Please contact me and let me put my expertise to work for you.